3 October 2016

Welcome again, today I´m going to talk about my travel to ATHENS


Last year, for one week I went to the city of Athens (Greece) and I spent very good holidays in that city. In my opinion if you  like to know the history of the ancient Greece visiting the  ruins, Athens is your ideal site for having some very good holidays. First of all I'm going to make a little introduction of Athens:

Resultado de imagen de que visitar en atenasAthens is the capital and largest city of Greece. It has a mediterranean climate and is one of the world's oldest cities, with its recorded history spanning over 3,400 years, and its earliest human presence starting somewhere between the 11th and 7th millennia BC. Finally it is to mention that in Athens the first Olympic games were created.

So knowing all this I will explain some information and my point of view from my experience:

PLACES AND MONUMENTS TO VISIT IN ATHENS:

  • Resultado de imagen de partenon
    The acropolis is in the top of Athens. There it's found the parthenon, Theatre of Dionysus Eleuthereus, Erecteion and other buildings. With the same ticket, you can also visit Greek Agora, Roman Agora, the temple of Zeus and Keramikos. ¡The children have a free ticket!

  • The centre of Athens is small and walking you can visit the most important Syntagma Square where is the parliament. In front of the parliament there are two soldiers guarding and you can take a photo one by one. 

  • From my point of view, Athens is perfect to walk because near the Acropolis there are  many pedestrian streets. In Monastiraki square always there are a lot of people ¡it's full of life!. Lykavittos and Filoppapou mountains are in the middle of Athens and from both of them you can see all Athens. Personally I prefer Filoppapou Mountain because the views of Acropolis are very beautiful.

  • Mostrando IMG_20161003_222639.jpgYou can't miss Delphi place, it is very beautiful. From Athens it is about 3 hours by bus. There are many things there. For example archaeological remains of temples like the Oraculo, Temple of Apollo, the Olympic stadium…. The views are wonderful and it looks like a magical site.

  • I didn't go to Meteora place due to, the distance from Athens (5 hours). In my next travel I would like to visit Meteora, ¡It looks very beautiful!




Resultado de imagen de monastiraki plaza



TYPICAL FOOD OF ATHENS:

In Athens, the food is very delicious and cheap.

These are the most typical foods that I recommend to eat:

  • Souvlaki: Grilled skewered. It may be lamb, chicken, pork, fish or shrimp.
  • Moussaka: It is a kind of lasagna whose ingredients are minced lamb, eggplant and tomato.
  • Gyros: It is pita bread stuffed roast meat (chicken or lamb), tomato, onion and sauce.
  • Koulouris: It is a circular bread that it is decorated with sesame seeds
  • Greece Yogurt: It is a natural Greek yogurt.

The dish that I liked most was the Gyros dish, it was very tasty and very unique. If you go to Athens you must eat that dish, ¡you will not regret it!.

To eat all of this I would recommend you to go near square Monastiraki. In that square there are many good and cheap restaurants one of them where I ate was the Thanasis restaurant.

                           

                      
                          

THINGS THAT SURPRISED ME:

All Athens is full of paintings, it is something that called my attention. The sidewalks are broken and they aren't appropriate for retired people. Also people drive very fast. In the motorcycles they don´t use helmet and the walkers cross the street with red light. The greek people in general are very friendly and tickets to visit the monuments for under 18 years old are free. Besides when you sit in the restaurant or in cafes the first thing that the waiter does is to serve a pitcher of water without paying. Finally, In Athens there are animals (cats, dogs…)  living in the street and in the monumental areas. I don't really like that because they made me sad but they have food and they look well and calm.





So, sometimes I seemed to be in a Village and not in one city. My experience in Athens was fantastic and I hope that this post helps you if you visit Athens.

See you soon!!!!!!!!!



In this links you can get more information about Athens and Greece



2 comments: